Majority of children...
How does school breakfast impact children's nutrition?
How does the School Breakfast Program impact nutrition? Students who eat school breakfast tend to have better intakes of several important vitamins and minerals. In fact, studies show that school breakfast programs have the potential to improve the nutrition of a student's entire family. Watch this video to hear about some of these important studies.
Want to boost school breakfast in your community? Visit our Breakfast Resource page for free tools and guidance.
This video features the following experts:
Dr. Jay Bhattacharya. Associate Professor of Medicine. Stanford University.
Mary Kay Crepinsek. Nutritionist and Senior Researcher. Mathematica Policy Research.*
*The study referenced by Mary Kay Crepinsek, currently with Mathematica Policy Research, was conducted while Ms. Crepinsek was working at Abt Associates.
Articles referenced in this video include:
1. Bhattacharya J, Currie J, Haider SJ. Breakfast of Champions? The School Breakfast Program and the Nutrition of Children and Families. J Hum Resour. 2006;41(3):445-466.
2. Clark MA, Fox MK. Nutritional quality of the diets of US public school children and the role of the school meal programs. J Am Diet Assoc. 2009;109(2):S44-S56.
3. Condon EM, Crepinsek MK, Fox MK. School meals: types of foods offered to and consumed by children at lunch and breakfast. J Am Diet Assoc. 2009;109(2 Suppl):S67-78.
4. Crepinsek MK, Singh A, Bernstein LS, McLaughlin JE. Dietary Effects of Universal-Free School Breakfast: Findings from the Evaluation of the School Breakfast Program Pilot Project. J Am Diet Assoc. 2006;106(11):1796-1803.
5. Rampersaud GC. Benefits of breakfast for children and adolescents: update and recommendations for practitioners. Am J Lifestyle Med. 2009;3(2):86--103.
6. School Nutrition Association. School Meals Proven a Healthy Choice. http://www.schoolnutrition.org/Content.aspx?id=6926. Accessed February 11, 2014.
7. United States Department of Agriculture. Final Rule: "Nutrition Standards in the National School Lunch and School Breakfast Programs" Questions & Answers for Program Operators. http://www.fns.usda.gov/cnd/governance/Policy-Memos/2012/SP10-2012av7.pd... Revised August 7, 2013. Accessed February 11, 2014.
8. United States Department of Agriculture Food and Nutrition Service. Nutrition Standards in the National School Lunch and School Breakfast Programs. Final Rule. Fed Regist. 2012;77(17):4088-4167.
9. United States Department of Agriculture Food and Nutrition Service. The School Breakfast Program. 2012; www.fns.usda.gov/cnd/breakfast/AboutBFast/SBPFactSheet.pdf. Accessed February 11, 2014.
10. Wechsler H, Brener ND, Kuester S, Miller C. Food Service and Foods and Beverages Available at School: Results from the School Health Policies and Programs Study 2000. J Sch Health. 2001;71(7):313-324.