How does school breakfast affect academic achievement?
Does school breakfast have an impact on academic achievement? Recent research suggests that it can boost students' cognitive functioning, memory, and test grades. Researchers present their research showing links between participation in the School Breakfast Program and student learning. Watch this video to learn about this research.
Access free resources to help you increase participation in the School Breakfast Program in your community and across the United States on our Breakfast Resource page.
This video features the following experts:
Dr. David Frisvold. Assistant Professor of Economics. Emory University.
Dr. Charles E Basch. Professor of Health and Education. Teachers College, Columbia University.
1. Adolphus K, Lawton CL, Dye L. The effects of breakfast on behavior and academic performance in children and adolescents. Front Hum Neurosci. 2013;7:425.
2. Basch CE. Breakfast and the achievement gap among urban minority youth. J Sch Health. 2011;81(10):635-640.
3. Food Research and Action Center (FRAC). Breakfast for Learning. http://frac.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/breakfastforlearning.pdf. Fall 2011. Accessed February 11, 2014.
4. Frisvold D. Nutrition and Cognitive Achievement: An Evaluation of the School Breakfast Program. http://ideas.repec.org/p/emo/wp2003/1301.html. Emory Economics working paper 1301. Published March 2013. Accessed February 12, 2014.
5. Hasz LA, Lamport MA. Breakfast and adolescent academic performance: An analytical review of recent research. Eur J Soc Sci. 2012; 1(3):66-79
6. Hoyland A, Dye L, Lawton CL. A systematic review of the effect of breakfast on the cognitive performance of children and adolescents. Nutr Res Rev. 2009;22(2):220-243.
7. Murphy JM. Breakfast and learning: an updated review. Curr Nutr Food Sci.
8. Rampersaud GC, Pereira MA, Girard BL, Adams J, Metzl JD. Breakfast habits, nutritional status, body weight, and academic performance in children and adolescents. J Am Diet Assoc. 2005;105(5):743-760; quiz 761-742.